Simon is a Manager in a busy Government
Department. His boss, Paul is talking to him on the phone.
SIMON:
Paul, its Simon.
PAUL: Yes, hello Simon.
How’s things? Good weekend? Janelle and you have a nice night out on Saturday
night? Now what can I do for you?
SIMON: Paul, its about
Gerard..
PAUL: Gerard? Gerard
Creely? What about him?
SIMON: I’m afraid he………….he
um………………
PAUL: Don’t tell me he’s
away again?
SIMON: Well he won’t be in
I’m afraid, you see……..
PAUL: Oh for FUCK SAKE!
That’s it, I’m completely over Gerard’s attitude. Its just not good enough
Simon. Just not good enough.
SIMON: Paul, can you just
hold on a minute…..Gerard died on Saturday.
PAUL: Well I don’t care.
Its one thing after another. He had a car accident in February, he was overseas
at a wedding in March, the flu one week, a sick Grand mother the next, a so
called heart attack last week and now you’re telling me he’s dead and won’t be
in. Its just very poor form Simon. Very poor form indeed.
SIMON: Yes, Paul, but….
PAUL: Does he have a
Doctor’s Certificate?
SIMON: He’s dead Paul.
PAUL: OK then. A Death
Certificate? He’d better have one or else its going to be a hard road home for
him I’m afraid. You know, we can’t carry people Simon. Every one has to be
responsible for themselves you know. I made it in to work today. I would have
like to have stayed home, but you don’t see me with a sick Grand Mother. You
don’t see me dying. I came to work.
SIMON: OK, but..
PAUL: Where would we be if
we all stayed at home and died every weekend?
(Long pause)
SIMON: (Uncertain) In the ground?
PAUL: In the ground!
That’s right. In the ground! And where would McArthur Manufacturing be then
Simon? It would be in the ground with us my friend. In the ground with us.
That’s right.
So, what I want
to see…..are you listening Simon? What I want to see is a death certificate on
my desk first thing tomorrow morning or Gerard is going to have to reconsider
his future here with us. That’s right. Reconsider.
TWO HOURS LATER SIMON IS HAVING A CONVERSATION WITH JANELLE, THE
SECRETARY.
JANELLE: So did you call his
family.
PAUL: I did. I had to
leave about six messages before one of them called me back.
JANELLE: So who called you? What
did they say?
PAUL: It was his brother
Don. He told me to stick McAurthur Manufacturing up my arse and told me he was
going to come around and belt fuck out me.
JANELLE: What are you going to
tell Paul?
Phone rings….
Hello? Yes Paul
he’s here. I’ll send him in.
Simon enters Paul’s office.
PAUL: Hi Simon. Come in.
Sit down. Rough morning? I bet. I know this is hard on you. You’re a staff
member down and you’re trying your best, I know, I know. You’re a trier. That’s
why I like you. So, I’ve decided that
I’m going to have to let Gerard go. I know I said we could wait to get his certificate
tomorrow morning, but I’m afraid his performance hasn’t been up to scratch.
Bascially, he’s not a team player. That’s right. Not part of the team. So I’m
going to have to let him go. I’ve drafted a letter for Janelle to type up….she
can do 70 words a minute you know….That means it will take her about 3 minutes
to write this letter. I count the words and then I time her to see what she can
do. Amazing. You should see her little fingers go……so I’ve written the letter
and that’s that. He’s gone. He’s no longer here….. (Paul makes a sign with his fingers to represent inverted commas)…IN
THE GROUND!!! As you said. That’s a good one Simon. A good one. I like that
analogy. I think I’ll use it at the Board meeting next week. Yes. In the
ground.
SIMON: But Paul…..Gerard really is dead. He died on Saturday.
PAUL: Well, that aside
Simon you have to admit he hasn’t been performing so I don’t think that’s
really the issue. I’ve spoken to HR about it and basically if he’s not
performing we can let him go.
SIMON: But he’ll go anyway
PAUL: Well that’s good for
him. You wouldn’t want to try and hang around a place when you’re not wanted
and frankly Simon, we don’t want him. He’s no longer a part of the team. He’s (Paul makes a sign with his fingers to
represent inverted commas again)…IN THE GROUND!
SIMON: Please stop saying
that Paul.
PAUL: They’re your words
Simon and good ones. They sum up the situation perfectly.
SIMON: That’s because he’s
really dead.
PAUL: And he’s no longer
part of this team. That’s right. Not part of the team. We’re a team here Simon.
You, me, Janelle, Ronny the little retarded kid who licks the bags, Phil in
accounting, all of us. We’re a team. Well now there’s no Gerard in that team.
That’s right. No Gerard in the team.
ONE WEEK LATER
Simon knocks on Paul’s Door.
PAUL: Come in? Oh Hi
Simon. How are you? Did you have a nice weekend? Good. Glad to hear it. Come in
and sit down. All friends here. Would you like a coffee? I’ve just asked
Janelle to run down to the coffee shop and grab one. I can call her if you
like? They make a nice Cappuccino or Latte? No?
SIMON: I just wanted to let
you know that I’ve had a phone call from Gerard’s lawyer.
PAUL: Lawyer? You must be
fucking joking? What does he want?
SIMON: They’re suing us for
unlawful dismissal.
PAUL: They’re
what?
SIMON: Well
they’re claiming that we shouldn’t have sacked him after he died.
PAUL: Fuckem’
Simon. That’s right. Fuckem! He’s been nothing but trouble since we employed
him. Away all the time, sick and dying one week, it was always something with
Gerard. Always something.
SIMON: I
know Paul, but we probably shouldn’t have sacked him. He wasn’t going to come
back anyway.
PAUL: So
what are they worried about? For God Sake! You can’t win can you. You try and
run a business, a good business by the way. I’ve built McArthur Manufacturing
up from the brink you know. From the brink!
SIMON: I
know Paul, but if you’d just left it alone he wouldn’t have come back to work
and it all would have worked itself out.
PAUL: Well
I decided to work it out for him. I’m over it Simon. You don’t think I often
feel pressure too? I’d love to take days off and not come in sometimes, but I
can’t. Hard decisions need to be made and I make them. And when it comes to
Gerard? Well I made that one too. He’s gone.
He’s
“IN THE GROUND”.
SIMON: Paul!
Please stop saying that. Its bad enough that we have to deal with his lawyers,
but when you keep saying “IN THE GROUND” it makes me feel terrible.
PAUL: Well
I don’t know why you should feel terrible Simon. They were your words. I used
them at the Board Meeting yesterday and they loved it. They loved it. Loved it.
SIMON: Well
its in pretty bad taste Paul.
PAUL: No
Simon. I’ll tell you what’s in bad taste. Suing an employer who did its level
best to keep Gerard on. What more could we have done. We gave him every
opportunity and still nothing.
SIMON: Yes
but…..
PAUL: But
nothing Simon. Not even a death certificate when I expressly asked for one. I
can tell you the next staff newsletter will have some very interesting
information about days off.
No comments:
Post a Comment